I Was Not Meant to Leave The House Tonight.

What I really want to do right now....stuff my face with cupcakes.

Oh sigh. It's been one of those days. The kind where you want to crawl into bed and just hide. For hours.

My husband brought doughnuts home this morning! Huzzah! The fun ended there, though. I had started my day late, which always throws me off. The kids were slow to start chores and school, and kept disappearing anytime I left the room. Zeke toiled away at his schoolwork for hours, which I generally don't mind...I'd prefer he took his time, but most of the time he was just dawdling and getting distracted by every little "shiny" thing, and I kept having to remind him to focus. Ellie has been downright disobedient today. Every thing I've told her to do she's disobeyed or flat out refused. (Future Ellie, if you're reading this - I don't say it to sadden you. I love you very much and you are a good girl. But oh my. You've been a holy terror today.)

I tried to update some things on my phone and the internet and/or the update kept crashing. This is a first world problem, I know, but it was very frustrating trying to do something and then having to start it all over again. Repeatedly. Then I caught myself at one point in time today saying, "Why are those books still out? Didn't I tell you not to leave them out? I said to pick them up. Why did you leave them out?" And I thought when did I become a parrot? The littlest man has been good but exceptionally busy. Getting into lots of things. Tearing toys out. Swiping everything off the table with a flick of his arm. Typical toddler activities but on top of the other kids and chores, I was feeling spent.

A friend posted on Facebook that she and some others were starting a ladies Bible study tonight. I thought that sounded right up my alley after the crappy day we'd had - the kids would get to burn off energy with some friends before bed, I would get to enjoy talking to other moms and get into some Bible Study, good times all around. It was supposed to start at 6:30, and was about 25-30 minutes away so I planned to leave around 6. That was my first mistake.

I should know by now (but still sometimes forget) that when you have more than just yourself to get ready that anything that can go wrong will and that you should always allow at least 10-15 extra minutes. So we were probably about five minutes late getting out the door because Zeke had on dress shoes with shorts and a t-shirt/the baby took off mid change sans diaper/Ellie couldn't find her socks/etc.) I get the two younger kids strapped in to the van. Run back in, grab my things, and start up the van. Well, try to start the van. The key won't turn. The steering wheel won't move. It's like it's locked. I try and try to turn the key, move the wheel, or figure out what's wrong for ten to fifteen minutes.

I finally go in and wake up my husband. I was hoping to avoid that since he has to work tonight and appeared to be sleeping quite well but I'm out of options. He goes out and it starts right up. The kids laugh hysterically. (I'll remember that, heathens.) I get in, we back out. As soon we start driving an alarm goes off. DING DING DING DING DING DING. The display says "BRAKE" and has a big red exclamation point. I have no idea what that means. I try applying the brake to see if that will make the alarm stop. It doesn't. I decide I'll drive it a bit and see if it stops or if it's acting funny.

It doesn't act funny but the alarm keeps going. We get to the train tracks. Oh, what do you know? There's a train across the tracks, blocking the crossing. At this point in time I realize we have less than ten minutes to get to the Bible Study that is a good thirty minutes away. We aren't going to make it. I'm bummed but then I think maybe the kids and I can just run to town since we are already all in the van and I've got a few things I need to pick up anyway. So we wait. (Because there's no other way out.) We wait some more. With the alarm in the van going on and on the whole time. DING DING DING DING. It almost matches the train crossing's dinging alarm. Then the train began to move! YAY! It stops again. Nice...it moved a whole two feet to the left and is still sitting across the crossing. I give up.

We drive home and the alarm on the van stops as soon as I pull in the driveway. OF COURSE IT DOES. I burst into tears. I don't want to. But I'm a pregnant lady, I can't help it, and we do that sometimes.

The train still appears to be on the tracks. And as I tried to post this, the Internet crashed.

It appears to be up. For now.

Is it time for bed yet?

1 comment :

  1. Oh my can I see myself reading this post. The weight of it all. A good cry does help, pregnant or not! I'm excited to read more on here!! Thanks for sharing your day!


Thanks for leaving a comment! I really appreciate them. If you've left a question, I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Note: Don't be a jerk. I reserve the right to delete hateful, inappropriate, or otherwise not nice comments.