This is a post in my 30 Days of Minimalism series.
First off, you have to decide if you're going to trash it, sell it, donate it, or recycle it. Gather a couple boxes or bags while you're cleaning/decluttering & label them "sell" "donate" etc. Distribute as needed and when you're done - consult this list! (I've listed some places in parenthesis as examples of places that are in my area.) Don't fret if you're unsure of what to do with something - sort out everything else and leave it until later if it's really bugging you.
Places to Sell Items:
- Facebook yard sale groups
- Consignment or thrift shops (like Plato's Closet, Once Upon a Child, Repeat Boutique, etc.)
- Newspaper classifieds
- Flea markets or rummage/garage/yard sale
Places to Donate:
- Children's after-school/summer programs (like 14th & Chestnut Community Center)
- Family crisis centers or women's shelters (one local to me is called CODA - Council on Domestic Abuse)
- Catholic Charities (local to me is Bethany House)
Places to Recycle:
- EcoPoint (Indiana-specific)
- What is Recyclable? (this is specific to Indiana but if you Google your state and recycling something similar should come up)
For more ideas, check out Miss Minimalist's 101 Places Your Clutter Can Do Good and Decluttering 101: To Sell or Not to Sell.